Residential travel plans offer a range of benefits to new developments, including improved accessibility and travel options for residents, reduced congestion in and around a new residential development as well as helping to create sustainable and vibrant communities that promote healthy lifestyles.
Key components of a residential travel plan
A residential travel plan will be tailored to a particular site with a range of measures which are specific to a particular residential development. This can include:
- Infrastructure measures including, cycle parking, enhanced public transport service, a car club, upgraded bus stops, good pedestrian and cycle routes and real time passenger information.
- Behaviour change measures including household travel information packs, incentives such as cycle vouchers, marketing and promotional events.
- Telecommunication points to reduce the need to travel.
- Household travel information packs plus incentives.
When a residential travel plan will be required
- A residential travel plan will be required for all developments over 80 dwellings. Please contact Planning Services in Peterborough City Council before submitting a planning application for a residential development to discuss what will be required.
- Developments between 10 to 80 dwellings should submit a travel statement committing to implement a number of travel plan measures, including travel information packs as a minimum.
Residential Travel Plan Guidance
We are currently writing a guidance document for developers working on residential travel plans in Peterborough. This will be available from the Travelchocie team. Call 01733 747474 or email email@example.com.
Cycle design guidelines